Since Halloween is fast approaching, I thought it’d be nice to take a break from my usual posts. I watch way too much TV and have made a list of my top ten Halloween themed episodes (some of the episodes don’t exactly take place on Halloween, but I’m ignoring that small detail.) I have two episodes from Buffy and Dawson’s Creek, but that’s just because I couldn’t narrow either show down to only one! These aren’t really in a specific order, but number one is my favorite. Please watch all of the episodes pronto, you will not be sorry! Aside from the Simpsons, all are easily found on Netflix! (Not a Netflix plug, but I would be totally lost without it)
10. The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror’s Episode 1 (season 2)- All of the old Treehouse of Horror episodes are good, but I really love “The Raven.” Long before I was an English major, I knew Edgar Allen Poe’s poem because of the Simpsons. Way to go television for educating me!
9. My So Called Life: “Halloween”- Another show that was cancelled after one short season. I can remember staying up late to watch this show with my mom when it aired on TV and this episode was creepy! Angela and friends decide to go to their high school at night so Angela can learn about a boy that died at a Halloween dance in the 50’s. They get split up, and odd things happen. Poor Brian demonstrates that he will do anything for Angela because he is desperately in love with her, even though she obviously loves Jordan.
8. Boy Meets World: “And Then There Was Shawn” (episode 5)- This isn’t really a Halloween episode, but it is scary! The kids are in detention and creepy things start happening. It is hilarious and Jennifer Love Hewitt makes a cameo. It makes fun of scary movies and is pretty amazing. Angela’s numerous shrieks are a hoot.
7. Vampire Diaries: “Haunted” (season 1)- Okay, I admit it. I am totally addicted to the Vampire Diaries. Season one’s Halloween episode features Damon turning Vicki into a vampire, who then crashes the school’s Halloween dance (dressed as a vampire!) Vicki doesn’t handle her transition well and Stefan has to take her out, which is pretty sad. But it’s a great episode from the beginning of the series, when Elena is still learning who Stefan and Damon are and what it means to be a vampire.
6. Angel: “Life of the Party” (season 5)- The first few seasons of Angel are pretty great, but I have to admit by season five I was starting to lose faith. I felt like they were running out of material, but I have a serious soft spot for Angel. In this episode Lorne has a Halloween party and whatever he says to the gang starts happening. Fred and Wesley get drunk. Also, there is a big demon.
5. Buffy: “Fear Itself” (season 4)- The gang is in their freshman year of college, and Oz’s band has a gig at a frat house Halloween party. The frat guys accidentally put up a demonic symbol as part of their spooky decorations and everything in the house goes wonky. The gang is prepared for high jinks after previous Halloween mishaps, yet still manage to get separated in the house. Funniest part of the episode- Xander tells Anya to dress up as something scary and she shows up in a bunny suit. Also, Oz is God.
4. Dawson’s Creek: “Four Scary Stories” (season 5)- Pacey, Joey, Jack, and Grams tell scary stories one night. Each story is pretty creepy and goes to show how the characters are branching out onto their own now that they have left high school and are figuring out who they are. My favorite story comes from Joey. She is in the university library late at night, basically left alone with some creepy older guy that she can’t get away from. Thanks to this episode, I was totally afraid of being alone in MTSU’s library at night.
3. Freaks and Geeks: “Tricks and Treats”- First off, I just have to say what a shame it is that Judd Apatow’s hilarious show got cancelled after only one season. James Franco, Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel are really young. The geeks are super lovable and say the funniest things ever. Basically you should watch the whole season. In the Halloween episode the geeks dress up in costume and get totally ridiculed, and Lindsey tries to smash a jack-o-lantern with her foot and looses her shoe. My favorite part is Bill talking into the mirror dressed up as the bionic woman.
2. Dawson’s Creek: “The Scare” (season 1)- Also not a Halloween episode, but it does take place on Friday the 13th. The gang are hanging out and pick up a random woman from a gas station who turns out to be a psycho. Adding to the spookiness, there is a serial killer on the loose. The episode is full of scares, but the best one is revealed at the very end of the episode!
1. Buffy: “Halloween” (season 2)- Ladies and gentlemen, my favorite Halloween episode! Season two of Buffy is probably my all time favorite season of a show ever. It is just non stop awesome. The Halloween episode involves all of the townspeople being magically transformed into whatever costume they are wearing (an old friend of Gile’s is behind it). Buffy wants to impress Angel because she is totally in love with him, so she dresses up as a noblewoman from the late 1800’s (when Angel was still human). When vampires (Spike) seize the opportunity to take over during the chaos, Buffy is pretty much useless. Best parts of this episode include Xander as a soldier, Willow getting to take charge as the leader, and Oz finally noticing Willow! Also, Cordelia is a big cat.