Easter Weekend!

Joe and I had a really great Easter weekend! I lucked out and found a coupon for Medieval Times earlier last week. Joe had been a few times when he was younger and had mentioned how neat it is, but I had never been. I knew there was one outside of Baltimore, and when I found the coupon (buy one ticket get one free, a huge deal!) I jumped on the chance! When coming up with our first Easter dinner together, Joe took the reigns and decided to make chicken shis kabobs! I wanted to make a spring-y type dessert, and had a banana pudding pie recipe I’d found on Pinterest so I thought I’d make that.

The pudding pie was basically banana pudding in a pie form, with a vanilla wafer crust. It looked delicious, so I set out to make the pudding (from scratch, not the kind out of the instant box) Saturday afternoon to let it chill out over  night. The recipe for the pudding seemed simple enough, I only needed sugar, flower, 4 egg yolks, 2 eggs, milk, and vanilla. My first blunder happened when separating the yolks I needed…I thought it would be no problem for me, even though I’d never separated eggs. So I’ve got this bowl next to the sink, and I’m ready to separate the first egg, and I manage to let the yolk slip away from me and it slides right down the disposal. It wouldn’t have been a big deal, but I only had 6 eggs left in the refrigerator! I went into panic mode and grabbed my purse, hopped in Ruby, and ran down to the grocery store (luckily only 4 minutes away) to get another carton of eggs. I got home and managed to not waste any more eggs. So, first lesson I learned: always leave room for error when cooking/baking, and have extras.

So after that mess I get everything in the saucepan, except the vanilla, and whisk it together. I turn the heat to medium-low, as specified, set my timer for 12 minutes, and begin to whisk away. After 12 minutes, I still have a super liquidy mixture, and the “low bubble” I was supposed to be experiencing just wasn’t happening. I cranked the heat up a smidge, and whisked for another 8 or so minutes.

It was starting to slightly bubble, but it still wasn’t getting very thick. I was worried about scorching it, and decided that whisking for 20 minutes straight was good enough. I was very wrong, but my arm was about to fall off, and Joe was asleep on the couch with Uma, so I didn’t want to wake him to ask for a hand. Haha. So I took it off the burner, added the vanilla, and poured it into a bowl to cover with saran-wrap. I threw it in the fridge and got ready to go to Medieval Times.


Joe and I got to be in the yellow Knight’s section. He was super valiant, and won his first duel, but was brutally slain in the next round. Joe and I cheered our little hearts out. We had a super delicious drink called a Maiden’s Kiss (not at all girly)…and the food was pretty good! I was worried about not having utensils, being that I am a super OCD neat freak, but I got over it and dug in! We had garlic bread, tomato bisque soup, half a roast chicken, a spare rib, herbed potatoes, and an apple pastry! The food just kept on coming. It was a really neat dinner experience!

Joe and I spent our first Easter together being complete bums in our apartment. We slept in, had cinnamon rolls, gave each other Easter baskets we had made, watched a movie, watched a lot of Food Network Chopped, and never left our apartment! Joe made us amazing chicken shis kabobs with red pepper and onion. He had found a recipe for a rub online and it was super good!

My super cute chef making me dinner! It always amazes me  how laid back and calm Joe is in the kitchen, whereas I get kind of panicky when I don’t know exactly what I am doing. Everything he makes turns out delicious! The banana pudding pie had to be put on the back burner (or more accurately, the pudding had to be poured down the sink). The pudding never thickened! I don’t know what I did wrong, but I’m going to buy the boxed pudding and make the pie at a later date. Luckily we had plenty of Easter candy to keep us occupied for dessert. I can’t wait until we have kids and can dye Easter eggs and have Easter egg hunts, but for our first Easter I’d have to say it was pretty perfect. The weekends just go by so fast, and then its back to work! Eeek! Still getting used to that full time work schedule. Haha.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s